My name’s Ron and I like to write about stuff. Weird stuff. Stuff that’s fun/sad, magical/mundane, morbid/uplifting, deep/shallow, insightful/ridiculous, subjective/objective, big/small, topical/irrelevant, good/bad/really bad/Why would you write that?/OH GOD MY EYES! And fairies, ghosts, and superpowers. So far. Robots next!
I live in the western part of the great state of New Jersey and commute via train to the NYC area every day. Now, before you “Oh god that sounds awful!” me, let me tell you, it’s not. It’s wonderful. I live ten minutes from New Hope, PA (if you don’t know, go) yet get to see NYC on a daily basis. Ain’t nothing awful about that. One hour each way provides plenty of writing/reading time 😀
I have a BA in English Literature from Seton Hall University (if you’re curious about such things), and am the Training Manager for a software development company. Yes I know, a strange place for a guy who writes about fairies, ghosts, and superpowers. And robots. If you think that’s weird, you should see what happens when the fairies get in the projector.
Some (a lot of) additional notes:
- Favorite color – Red
- Favorite food – Thai
- Favorite drink – A good Negroni. Yellow Spot whiskey warms my dark heart. Non-alcoholic? Limeade I guess
- Favorite book – A Christmas Carol. It’s perfect. If you want something more recent, You by Caroline Kepnes is awesome, and I enjoy Jonathan Stroud’s Lockwood and Co. (yes, I read across age groups)
- Favorite TV show – The Walking Dead, with Doctor Who a close second. Honorable mentions to Supernatural and Ink Master (how do you not love people volunteering to be tattooed by someone they’ve never met, whose style and skill they don’t know?)
- Favorite movie – Princess Bride. I mean, come on
- Favorite place to write – Trains, coffee shops, the kitchen table
- Superman or Batman? – Lobo
- If you were going on Naked and Afraid, what one survival item would you bring? – Bug spray. Seriously
- Tattooed? – Yes. A bunch
- Are you outdoors-y? – Um, did you not look at any of my header images?
- Dogs or cats? – Either. I have a cat
- Is it true you’re a certified yoga instructor? – It is!
- Place you want to retire – Alaska
- Favorite possession – My red 2001 Jeep. Love that stupid thing
- Will you critique my first few chapters? – Sure!
- Will you beta read my SFF book if I buy you lunch? – Sure again!
- Favorite quote – “Opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss.” (unknown)
- Favorite quote from a writer – “Important does not equal immediate. You don’t need to dump all the details on one page.” (John McGoran speaking at the Writer’s Digest Conference, 2015)
The novel I’m querying
Engine of Change (96K word Adult Alternate History Science Fiction) is my fourth book. I describe it on Twitter as:
‘Jenna alone survived the government-back plague that killed anyone with a superpower. Now, damaged and bitter, she’s the one person who can stop the madman who wiped out her kind from releasing a new strain targeted at normal humans.’
I love my MC, Jenna, so much. She’s darkly funny, broken as all get out, and so, so lonely (and curses and drinks way too much), yet something deep in her refuses to roll over and give in. Engine of Change is not about people with powers, it’s about her, who she is, was, and might become.
I’m 30K words in another Adult SciFi, this one with robots. Silver is sad, fun, ironic, timely, and hella different than anything I’ve written before. Some days the challenge of what I’m trying to do feels way out of reach, and other days flat-out easy. So, you know, writing, hehe. Either way, I love it.
Okay, that’s it! Thanks for reading. If you see me on the train or run into me anywhere else (like the Twitter), feel free to say hi. If you’d like to contact me, send an email to ron(at)rdelaneyjr(dot)com.